Friday, August 16, 2013

Up, Up and Away

My sunflowers are enormous.
They are all starting to flower now.
These are at the front of the house and I have more round the other side.
The seeds were sent to me by a friend in Michigan. 
I planted them as a memorial to another friend who passed away earlier this year.
I am so pleased with them that I think I will plant some sunflowers every year.

One of our roses, the best one actually, the one that grows right up and over the door, has been looking a bit poorly lately.
I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
I have now.
There is a wasps' nest right in the roots of it.   It goes under the ground.
I didn't know wasps built nests like that but, after looking it up on the wonderful 'interwebs' I have discovered they do, and they have.
The little buggers.
It said they can be a bit dodgy if you interfere with them.
Some people suggested various methods of getting rid of them but a couple said "call in the experts".
So, I went back to the 'interwebs' in an attempt to just get a general idea of what that would cost.
After filling in numerous questionnaires, I still hadn't got an estimate so I gave up.
Then I got a phone call thanking me for my enquiry for wasp removal.
I hadn't wanted a phone call but as I now had the bloke on the phone I thought I would ask the question.
He faffed around a bit, long enough to make it sound like they would be battling a battalion of fuzzy wuzzies - "They don't like it up 'em Capt Mainwaring!", then quoted me the price.
$200
I thanked him and said we would let him know.
We will find something in the chemist  to squirt in the hole.  It is best done at night, so I understand, as they are sleeping.
Oh dear.....I just have a bad feeling about it all.

On another note - I have booked my flights.
That was another stressful episode.
Stoopy banks with their over the top security on their cards.
Anyway, I should arrive on Sunday Sept 29th and leave on Oct 19th.
Well, technically I leave on Oct 20th but I shall stay overnight in a hotel at the airport as it is an early start.
I am getting a bit excited now.  I do hope NO ONE is ill this time.
Lauren goes home on Tues.  Where did that month go?
I am glad I have my flights booked as I can console myself knowing it won't be long before I see them all again.
I have a feeling it will be harder than ever for me to let her go this time.
She has grown up so much and we have shared so many laughs.
Oh....dear....must stop or I shall start myself off.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home