Monday, March 30, 2015

Oh dear.

Friday was my birthday.
One of my dear nephews sent me this compilation of photos from many years ago.
The top right is on my wedding day.
The top left is with my nephew John and the middle one has John and my nephew, David, he is the one that put this together.
Ok so not all of them are very flattering but it was such a lovely thought.
My birthday went well.
I got some new jewellery making supplies and a lovely charm for my bracelet.
I got lots of cards...thank you to everyone, and lots and lots of birthday messages on facebook.
All in all I was very lucky.
Saturday we went out for a meal in a seafood restaurant.  It was mostly nice although Philip's fish was overcooked.
The restaurant itself was very good and I would go back.

It all fell apart Sunday evening.
I had a phone call from my friend's brother.  The friend I work with.
He had just taken her to the hospital.  She had had a stroke.
I was so shocked.
He was phoning me so that I could find out who her clients were and cancel her appointments.
I wanted to go straight to the hospital but he asked us to meet him at the house first.

We did and then I got so angry with her.
I was already shocked and upset but when he told me she had had this stroke on Saturday morning but had refused to go to the hospital.........I couldn't believe it.
She was totally unable to talk, cannot eat, drink or swallow and her right side had been affected.
How can you think you are ok?
The shame is that if you get medical treatment quickly there is a drug they give you which, not only reduces the bleed, lessening the damage, but also makes for a far speedier recovery.
She couldn't talk, couldn't walk but wouldn't even see a doctor.  She must have gone to bed Saturday night like that.  Did she think she would wake up in the morning and be ok?
I know she is obstinate but I just don't understand this.  I would have been afraid to go to bed in case I died in the night.
It wasn't until her auntie happened to call in on Sunday afternoon, saw her condition and told her that if she didn't go to the hospital she would call and ambulance, that she went.
It was more than 24 hours since she had the stroke.......too late for this wonderful drug to help.

Anyway, we set off to the hospital.  Poor thing, she really cannot say a word.  Apparently it isn't just that your muscles are affected, it is the connections from your brain that are damaged meaning you can't make any sounds.
By now, of course, I wasn't angry with her.  I was just upset to see her like that.
I told her I would take care of all work issues and when she appeared tired we left and went back to her place so I could make some calls.
Her brother, bless him, hadn't grasped this very well.  He told me we should cancel her appointments for 3 days.
3 DAYS.........ye gods.   It is going to be a hell of a lot longer than three days.

Today I went and sorted out some more of her appointments.  I have no idea how long it is going to take before she is able to work again.
She will be so frustrated and so impatient.
I am going to see her again this evening.   I fear it is going to be quite a long haul.
I just hope she does what they tell her to do.

I am not sure what she managed to take in with her so I am going to pop round to the chemist's in a minute and get her some toothpaste, brush etc.
I am so worried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home