Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Not dinosaurs.


I am still plodding on with the archaeology course.
I will admit I have found it very interesting and have a whole new perception on what an archaeologist actually does.
The essay this week required a visit to a museum.
There were other options but this was the one that was most readily available to me.

As Philip had mostly recovered from his 'arse leprosy' we set off on Sunday.
We haven't visited the Milwaukee Public Museum for years and previous visits have generally included Lauren.
This means that there was a set pattern.
The first stop was always the dinosaurs, followed by the live butterfly exhibit (once there was a special exhibit of huge, ugly bugs....she loved those) , the undersea life exhibit, African animals, a bite of lunch and then a peruse of the gift shop.

This visit would be different.  I had to look for all things archaeological and then pick something I could write an essay on that would be relevant to this weeks theme.
Are you with me so far?

I found this amazing exhibit.
It was all about how Milwaukee had changed from 1,000 years ago.
There was loads of information about the archaeological digs and the diorama really brought it to life.
Why had we never noticed this before?
I will tell you why.
It is because this exhibit is midway between the dinosaurs and the poxy butterflies that's why.
We have never been allowed to pause here long enough before to really take in what this was all about.
It was exactly what I was looking for.  Now just to hope this is what the archaeology course is looking for.

I have one more week to do before this course finishes.
Sometimes it has been a bit stressy but mostly I have enjoyed it.
I know one thing though.........I would never want to be an archaeologist.

On another note.
I took 6 blankets I had knitted, into our local animal shelter on Saturday.
This is for an organisation called "Comfort for Critters".
The idea is that each animal, usually cat or dog, is given their own personal handmade blanket, knitted by volunteers like myself.
This blanket stays with the animal through any cages moves etc and is then sent home with them when they are adopted.
The idea being that having something they have become attached to is a comfort to them during a stressful time.
I had to smile yesterday, as having started on the next round of blankets, I found my hand hurting.
On inspection I discovered I have a blister.
A BLISTER FROM KNITTING !!!
I wonder.....does this mean I am an "Extreme Knitter".....how 'rad' is that !!!

They do still say 'rad' right?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home