Monday, March 11, 2013

Experiment

Ever since I had oral surgery I have had a really sore tongue.
It feels like you have burned your tongue.   I thought it must be something to do with the dental stuff so I thought it would go.
I saw my regular dentist about a couple of weeks ago and mentioned it to him.  He could see nothing wrong and suggested I had 'Burning Tongue Syndrome'.
I still didn't take much notice but it is really beginning to get me down.  It doesn't sound like much, I know, but it is a horrid feeling with a nasty taste in the mouth too.
You find yourself being able to think of nothing else.  Eating is a bit of a problem as well.
Anyway, I did some research.
I found there are lots and lots of people with this same condition.  All of whom are searching for an answer.
Some have had it for years (horrible thought). 
Some suggested baking soda rinses and using baking soda toothpaste.  My dentist actually suggested this last one too.
This eases it a little for a while but it is soon back.
I then found a trend in a lot of the forums.  Going gluten free.
I know a couple of people who are on gluten free diets but not for this reason.
I have never paid much attention to it to be honest.   Anyway, this gluten free mallarky cropped up more and more.
So, I decided to give it a go.   Philip is also keen to try it too as one of the other effects is losing belly fat.
It isn't for the faint hearted though.  We went shopping today and the gluten free stuff is terribly expensive.
I bought things that weren't too much more but I draw the line at paying $6 for a small loaf.
It will be easier for Philip as meat is gluten free anyway.  I did find pasta, crackers, polenta and a  few other things but I think I shall have to start cooking totally from scratch.
I didn't realise all the hidden gluten........soups and anything thickened with flour.  I do cook a lot of our food anyway but I will have to do even more.
I am going to look for bread recipes using gluten free flour.  Then at least I can maybe make 2 or 3 loaves or several rolls for the price of one small loaf.
This is going to be an interesting experiment.  We are going to give it a month and see how it goes.
If it doesn't work, then at least we tried.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home