Friday, December 24, 2010

Cookies etc

These are the home made cookies the lady over the road brought over.
Today I gave gifts to their two lovely little girls.
They were not anything extravagant just a Christmas ornament each but it made me feel so much better that I had returned the compliment.
I suspect we have now started a new tradition.
But, I am glad. Christmas to me is wonderful. I will love buying a little something for their kids every year as I do for the kids down the road. ....the ones Lauren plays with.
Their parents are great.

Lauren with one of Philip's soppy hats.
This evening, as we were having our Christmas Eve dinner.....this is cheese, biscuits, super bread, olive oil, seasonings (for dipping) and meat for the carnivores......Donna informed me that we were going to be visited by 3 ghosts.........nope, sorry, I mean by the parents ( Mary & Marty) of Lauren's mates down the road.
I had sent them down there earlier to deliver the (small) gifts that we always get for their kids.
We had just finished noshing & drinking some rather spiffing wine that Philip's boss had given him, when there was a hammering on the door.
They all came in bearing gifts.
Way too many gifts.
I did remonstrate with them ........to no avail........it seems that in previous years they have had very hard times.
We have always bought their kids gifts and apparently they were really appreciative of this..........who knew? We didn't......well not really. We knew times were tough for everyone but I do love their kids......little buggers they are but they do make me laugh.
Anyway, apparently they have done a little better this year and wanted to return the favour.
I was touched.
I am still touched.
They bought for Philip and I, for Donna and for Lauren.
You know mates.........this Christmas mallarky comes in for a lot of stick, but all the time it can create such good feeling between people ........I know it can't be bad.

During their visit there was yet another hammering on the door.
A whole bunch of kids Carol singing.
Oh I did love it.
There were kids from next door (one of which is a little git who Philip would like to strangle and his two twin sisters) they sung beautifully.
Well they did after I told them I would only listen if they all (the little git was not singing initially) sang a real carol...........none of this "we wish you a merry Christmas mallarky".
They started again and sang a lovely Carol. We all then had a whip round and they finished up with about $12.........I think this is way better than being horrid to the kids.........they will now feel a bit more appreciative of us too.
Anyways, I so enjoy a good Carol. When I lived in Kingsnorth...village in England.....we had lots of Carol singers and I was only thinking the other day how we didn't seem to get them here.
They sung a proper Carol too...........you have to reward that.

Today we also visited my friend June.
Dear, dear June.
She is so religious, so catholic, but you know, if everyone who purports to be Christian was like my mate June then there would be no more wars.
She is everything a true Christian should be. Instead of just spouting off about what should be done she bloody well does it.
She has picked people up in her car because it was cold and they were carrying shopping.
This is madness really............but she can't bear the thought of someone walking home when she is driving.
She is over 70 years old and is the kindest most caring person I have ever met.
You go girl.
She presented us with a bag full of goodies that she said we must not look at until Christmas Day.
When I said it seemed awfully heavy she replied that there was 4 of us so it would be.
You really need to know June to realise how good and kind she is.

Lauren has now gone to bed. She is waiting for the big day.
I am totally worn out.........we have made mince pies & cheese biscuits & cheese straws today.
Donna had a fab night out with the guy she has met this visit and is wondering if she will see him again before she goes home.

This year has been a little different.
I have had a couple of really bad Christmasses. To be honest........I doubt anyone has had any that were worse than those I have suffered.
But, I am an optimist.
I believe in people......I believe things can only get better.
This year we have had some dodgy times. I almost lost my son..........with what has happened to me in the past this was exceptionally horrendous.
But, he survived, I survived.........and most importantly, we have new family.
I met them.
They were wonderful.
I feel so blessed.
To find you have new family and family that were so amazing and so friendly........is something that will not happen to most people.
I am always appreciative of new friends. New family that are also new friends !!!!! how often does that happen.
Peter & Chris.....you have amazed me. I love you both. I hope that one day you will visit us.
You are truly a fabulous couple and wonderful people.

This last trip I also met some other new friends. They will be my friends for a long time.
Big Big Steve's partner particularly. You are a very kind, courageous and wonderful person. I am honoured to have met you.
To you all I wish a heartfelt merry Christmas.
New Years scare me as I have been caught out in the past ..........Happy New Year.....hmmmm...you never know what a new year holds so I don't do the whole happy new year thing.
I wish you all a Healthy New Year.
There is nothing better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home