Sunday, December 5, 2010

Weekend

We got the tree yesterday.
Oh it is beautiful. Perfect size, perfect shape.
It also seems very fresh and smells divine. I hope it keeps well.
We cut a few inches off the end and then put it in the stand filled with tree preserver.
This usually keeps them fresh.
We left it overnight to relax and then this afternoon we put the lights on it.
Well, before we put the lights on it we found a bird's nest in it.
Minus bird I hasten to add ..........with 4 cats that wouldn't have been funny.
Poor little bird.
I bet he was cross when he came home to find his tree was gone.

Philip got stuck in with the lights.
He is good at this job. Well I can't reach to top of the tree anyways, being a short arse.

We have replaced all the crappy LEDs with proper lights this year.
Actually, Philip wants to put our artificial tree down in the basement. He wants to decorate it with Lauren when she is here.
So, the LEDs are going on that one.

I am going to start putting the decorations on this one tomorrow. I will take a photo of it when it is done.
This does seem, so far, to be one of our best trees. Looby Loo is thrilled. Her tree is back. She will soon be able to hide under it, tucked in the corner.

Friday I went out Christmas shopping and then to dinner with a mate of mine, her son, his lady friend and the ladyfriend's daughter.
This son is recently divorced and the rest of my friend's kids (she has 6) will have nothing to do with this new lady.
They claim it is from loyalty to his former wife but my friend suspects ( and I think she is probably right) that it is because she is black.
She was so keen for me to go with them just to prove that not everyone has a problem with it.
I certainly don't.
The new ladyfriend is lovely. Her daughter is a smashing kid, the same age as Lauren.
She chatted to me the whole time........about her school, her friends, my accent, London, do the guards at the palace smile...........I found a new friend. I even offered baby sitting services.
My friend's family are the ones who will be missing out by not including these people.
I really don't understand colour prejudice.
I like anyone who is a kind, friendly, honest person.
I really don't like anyone who is cruel, spiteful or tells lies..........whatever bloody colour they are.

I am worried about the kids across the road.
This family moved in a few months ago and they have two lovely little girls.
Why am I worried?
No Christmas decorations.........that's why.
Everyone here now has their houses done and trees up.
We don't leave it late because of the snow, ice and poxy sub zero temperatures.
But, across the road........nothing.
I keep telling myself that maybe they are just a bit late with them, but I saw the little girls standing outside gazing at our display and it worried me.
There isn't even a twinkling light from inside their house.
I wondered if they are Jewish......but I have spoken with them quite a few times and I know Jewish people......they just don't seem Jewish.
Plus, it is Hannukah at the moment and there is no sign of a menorah over there.
I am really hoping they are not Jehovah's Witnesses.
I have known a few of them too but never any with kids. I can't stand the thought of those kids seeing all the beautiful Christmas displays and not having anything themselves.
Now that seems cruel to me. The Jehovahs are a queer bunch.
The next time I see the mum outside I have made up my mind to ask.
I shall say "Do you celebrate Christmas?" and see what she says.
I will admit America has its share of oddball religions.
I will let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home