Saturday, October 23, 2010

'paccas.

I had a fab day today.
I had been asked if I wanted to visit some alpacas but the weather forecast today was not good.
Not only was it 'not good' it was 'not bad' either.
It was forecast as 'absolutely awful'.
This morning it appeared that it the forecast had been accurate but then it brightened up towards midday and I decided to chance it.
I really don't like cold/wind/rain but when things improved I thought I would give it a go.
I had really wanted to see the alpacas last time but Glenn's ailments had changed my plans.
So, I sent a text to Chippy to see, as he lives 2 minutes from here, if he would be willing to give me a lift.
He seemed rather vague at first .....just giving me times etc that people would be meeting at Dave's.
I sent another text.......then yet another.
He eventually said that he probably would be willing to give me a lift if he knew who the hell he was talking to........or words to that effect.
Heh heh......I had omitted to sign any of the texts and he hadn't got me on his list so the poor guy was wondering who wanted picking up and from where.
What am I like?
Anyway, he came to pick me up at 12.30pm and joy of joys he had his little daughter in the car too.
She is coming up for 2 years old and is lovely. She was singing and when we got out we were skipping. I had never met her before. A smashing kid.
At Dave's his son was busy upstairs tattooing his mate.
I had never seen anyone tattooing before and at first I was scared to look as I thought blood would be flying around all over the place.
But, it was amazing. I took a couple of photos. I enjoyed seeing his work but I am still not tempted to have needles and ink stuck in my skin.
He hasn't been doing it long but is already doing wonderful artistic designs.
Once the rest of the mottley crew had arrived we set off for alpaca land - with a quick stop at The Bat Farm.
They seemed to believe that I had been there before for a Bat Camp adventure but I really don't think I have.
Next stop.....alpaca land.
It was fab. Lots of mummy ones, baby ones and a 'stud muffin' one.
Oh and one called Jeffrey who we were all rather taken with.
Dave got kissed on the nose more than once by an alpaca (he is such a trolloppe). Not one of them wanted to kiss me. I reckon Dave must smell more like an alpaca .....or 'pacca' (as little Emily called them) than I do.
The owner of the farm was very informative and I learned a lot about these animals. If I had a big field I could be tempted by alpacas.
The weather could contain itself no longer and the rain began. Pretty good timing though as we were at the end of our visit.
Back to the Bat Farm where we had coffee and I had a wonderful shortcake/chocolate/toffee confection that some said might be too sweet.
Rubbish.......there is no such thing as 'too' sweet and I yummed it up.
Chippy, bless him, brought me back home and I said goodbye to Emily.
A brilliant day all round.
Met up with old chums, made some new chums and learned a lot about alpacas.
I am so glad I went.

6 Comments:

At October 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Isn't your garden big enough for a baby one??? Philip could arrange it ready for your return!!!

 
At October 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Sue Banks said...

Nah...the man told us that you have to have a minimum of three alpacas. One to graze, one to do something else and one to keep watch. I can't remember what the something else was...might have been sleep. They are herd animals. Hmmmm....maybe they could form a herd with our cats...they are good at eating and sleeping.

 
At October 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Manky Badger said...

One grazes, one keeps toot, and the other has a kip.

And the weather *was* fine - I could see blue skies....

 
At October 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM , Blogger Sue Banks said...

Keeps toot!!!! I don't remember 'the man' saying that but it makes sense. As for the blue skies ....you may have seen them..in the distance but over us was not blue.
As my mum would have said "It's a bit black over Bill's mother's".

 
At October 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Philip said...

Our garden isn't big enough for a 3 cats left alone 3 alpacas - even if we extended the fence out the side.

 
At October 25, 2010 at 1:54 AM , Blogger Sue Banks said...

They weren't very big alpacas.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home