Thursday, December 17, 2009

Carols anyone??????

A friend talks in his blog about his Carol singing memories.
I used to go Carol singing as a kid, sometimes with mates and sometimes in an organised group from school.
As he did, we also got a mixed reception.
I actually love to hear Carol singers.
We don't seem to get them over here. This may be because the weather is so blooming cold and also maybe because people are afraid to let their kids out in the dark these days.
And who can blame them.

When we spent the year in sunny Bradford we got Carol singers then.
I did what I always used to do.
They tend to ring the doorbell and then launch into a hasty rendition of "We wish you a merry Christmas......."
This, in my opinion, isn't a Carol.
So, I would stop them mid warble and tell them I would happily give them some dosh if they would sing me a proper Carol.
They found this much harder than I thought they would.
I wonder if kids even sing Carols in school now.
They would look puzzled........then thoughtful.........and then I would generally help them out by suggesting a few.
Eventually we would find one that they had a little knowledge of.
They knew few of the words to even basic ones like, Away in a Manger........Hark The Herald Angels..........Silent Night........yet I can remember the words to these and many more just from when we sang them in primary school.
We sang so many and so often.

I still miss going to the midnight carols in the church in Kingsnorth on Christmas Eve.
It was brilliant. We lived half way up the hill. The pub was at the bottom of the hill and the church at the top.
So, it was down to the pub till just before 11pm........meander up the hill to the church for the carols and then back home for a night cap.
I always felt guilty that it was really the only time we went in the church but it started our Christmas for us brilliantly.

I hope Carol singing isn't becoming a dying tradition. For those out there that complain about them I suggest they try my suggestion to get a real Carol sung just for them.
I think it is worth it and wish it happened here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home