Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gym, gymineee...............

A rather interesting drive to the gym last night.
Very interesting really if you consider it is only about 10 minutes away.

We had stopped at the red traffic light.
Two of the three lanes of traffic opposite us had stopped too.
Then, as we watched, a truck comes hurtling along in the inside, third lane, and has obviously got no intention of stopping or even slowing down.
We was unfortunate for him really because coming from his left was another truck, equally hurtling, but with the right of way as his light was green.

I buried my head in my hands and just hoped that neither of them swung around and hit us sitting dutifully at the red light.
Oh bugger, thought I, now we are going to have to be witnesses.
Now we have to hang around here and wait for the po - lice (that's how you have to say it here) to show up and tell them what happened.
And, the guy who ran the red light is probably going to deny it all and then get mad with us and maybe pull a gun and then we will all be dead and who is going to feed the kitties then I ask you.

There was an almighty crunch and I looked up to see the truck who had run the red light limping to the curb.
Then a very odd thing happened.
I was looking at the driver, he looked OK.....I looked at his door, which was far from OK.
I was just starting to say to Philip that we would need to be witnesses for the other guy who had the green light, when we noticed what he was doing......or not doing actually.
He was not stopping.
He turned the corner and carried on going.
There was glass all over the road so his truck took a fair amount of damage. He wasn't the one in the wrong........so why didn't he stop?
The guy who ran the red light had stopped but not the other one.
We sat for a minute to make sure and then just had to carry on.
We wondered if one or both had been drunk. Even the guy who was in the right would have got a ticket if he had been drinking.

After driving a little further I saw something in the road.
Initially I thought it was a cat. This in itself would have been odd as cats are not allowed outside over here.
But, as we got closer and slowed down to avoid hitting it.............we saw it was a raccoon.
He was trying to pick something up in the road and sitting on the pavement was his mate, who seemed to be urging him on.
I love raccoons.
They look so naughty.........like bandits with their masks on.
He rummaged around for a bit and then scooted back to his chum. Of course I had to lean out of the window and tell them off like unruly children.

"Oi stay out of the road"

I don't suppose it worked any better than when I yelled out of the bedroom window to our rabbits to stop doing what they were doing in the middle of the lawn.
The result of that was 8 baby rabbits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home