Monday, November 17, 2014

Winter Drawers On........Again

Took this photo of this guy in our garden this morning.
I think we are so fortunate to have a pair of Cardinals living here with us.
The female is a dull brown colour but the male is so beautiful, with his bright red plumage.


 It shows up so brightly against our snow.
Yes, we have snow already.
You can see it in the tree in the second photo.   It is still extremely cold and I am enjoying my time wrapped in a blankie.

We did go out shopping on Saturday though.  We were looking for all things "Frozen"...lol.....and not in the garden.
Our budget is limited (supposedly) to $25.
We had a bit of a find and we bought it immediately.
Apart from the fact that the gifts have to be wrapped and handed in on Dec 3rd (which isn't that far away), we guessed that if we didn't buy it now, then it wouldn't be around later.
Here it is.

A scooter.
A 'Frozen' scooter.
A 'Frozen' scooter for $19.97. !!!!
I think the little girl we are sponsoring will go nuts over this.
This also meant we had enough money to buy something to go with it, which we did.
A set of books, crayons, stickers, light up thingie ........all 'Frozen'.......for about $14.
Well, we didn't go much over the limit.
This is the perfect pressie in the circumstances.  We are always aware not to buy anything that needs batteries as even if we supply some to start off with, it is unlikely the family will be able to afford any more.  Then the gift is useless.
Here is her letter :-

I am rather impressed with her writing skills at age 7.
Being poor doesn't mean you are not intelligent.

I did look at the Easy Bake ovens.  I don't think we have them in the UK but they have been around over here for years.  They cook using just a light bulb.  I imagine it would be a high wattage light bulb.
UK Health and Safety would have a fit.
We could have bought one for a little over the budget but, and it is a BIG BUT, they cook little cakes, not using a regular recipe but special little packets of stuff you buy.
The little packets I found were all over $5 each.
Now, I doubt whether this family would be able to afford to keep buying these.  That would make this present useless too.
I love the little drawings she has put on the letter and I am really impressed that she says, "I would like...", rather than, "I want."

I am so chuffed that we found something that she doesn't need batteries for, is adjustable and, I think, she will really like.
I wish I could be there when they open their presents from Father Christmas......sigh.......


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home