Thursday, April 4, 2013

Whoops....there I go again............

I had a "Major Tom" moment today.
Sigh.
Those who know me will guess the sort of thing that's coming.
Well, as it was another nice day - sun shining but a bit chilly - I decided to go for another walk.
This time I set off in a different direction.
I had a vague idea of reaching a chemist a little way away and looking to see if they had anything for 'Burning Mouth Syndrome.'
It was quite a hike but I got there and actually found they did have some stuff.
They had some gel to put on your tongue and some lozenges.
Wow....our local chemist had nothing like that.
Of course I then got carried away in the 'half price Easter chocolate' section. But after the walk I thought I deserved it.  I bought Philip some too.
I decided to come back via a different route.
As I wandered along looking at the houses on the way, in the distance I could see something in the front garden of one of the houses.
It looked like a small cage.
In my innocence, I wondered if they had put their guinea pig or rabbit out on the lawn, as it was a nice day.
We used to do that when we had them.
As I drew closer I could see it wasn't a cage as such....it was a trap.  It was a trap with a squirrel inside it.
It was a trap with a poor, terrified squirrel inside it.
I stopped to look closer as I couldn't believe someone would actually trap a squirrel.
I marched up to the front door and rang the bell.   A dog barked.  A big dog from the sound of it.
No one came to the door.
What to do?
Well, there was no way I would ever have been able to live with myself if I had carried on and left that squirrel in the trap.
So, I decided to let him out.   This was easier said than done.  I had no idea how to open the trap.  The poor frantic squirrel was going bonkers.  I tried lifting the bit at the end that looked like a door ...but it didn't want to move.
After a bit more tugging and pulling .......it came up.  The squirrel shot out like a bullet and was gone.
I put the door of the trap down so no others could go in, calmly picked up my shopping and continued on my way.
I sort of felt a bit guilty for interfering but I would not have been happy if I had left him there.
I don't know if they are in the habit of trapping squirrels and in some ways you could say my actions might not have made much difference.
But, it made a difference to that squirrel.

When I got in I found a letter from my doctor re blood tests.
All was normal apart from elevated vitamin B12.
I had just started taking extra B12 because one of the reports I read suggested a lack of it could be a cause of Burning Mouth Syndrome.
I shall have to stop taking it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home