Thursday, March 1, 2012

Funny old week.


Philip had Tuesday off.
Poor old Bubba needed to have a dental done.  He had to be at the new vet's at 7am.
Having fasted from the night before, due to having an anesthetic, he was not happy when he left.
I have to admit I was worried about him.
He will be 14 years old this year and I was concerned he might not wake up.

The vet's office phoned around 9am to say they had to take 3 teeth out.  OK....what else can you say.
They then phoned back about 10 minutes later to say they had to take out another 2.
Poor old Bubby.
Lollipop had disappeared as soon as Philip got the carrier out to take him.  She was the one having teeth out before and she wasn't having any more of that old nonsense.

At around 1pm we were told we could go and get him.  I couln't get there quick enough.
We were in the reception area and told the vet's assistant we were there to collect Bubba.
There was a door leading from this room which was open.
As soon as we spoke to her there came this heart rending wailing from the next room.  Oh this was deep, mournful moans.
"Oh", she said, " He has heard you".
It was such a plaintive sound that it broke my heart.  To think he recognised our voices was amazing.
But, then I suppose, in this world of American accents, we must stand out a bit.

He had had plenty of pain meds and we have more to give him.  His mouth is stitched up and must be very sore.  But, he will eventually be much more comfortable than he was.

Cats are funny things.  Far more complicated than dogs.  While he was away, the girls really missed him.  They couldn't settle at all.  
When he came back...........they all hated him because he smelled of the vet's.
Apart from Tootsie (the baby) they all hissed at him and wouldn't get near him.   Lollipop was the worst.  She didn't just hate him she hated everybody.   You would think they could just see it was him but with cats it all depends on scent.
Today, Thursday, is the first day Lollipop has stopped hissing at him.  She is still hissing at Tootsie as it seems it was all her fault. 
Strange creatures.

I went to the mall today.
Whilst waiting at the bus stop (you knew this was coming didn't you), an elderly man approached.
Oh, please don't start speaking to me, my mind raced frantically.
"Good morning," he said, " How are you today?"
Pants, this is how it always starts.
I answered him and then he continued.  He told me what time he thought the bus would be there and when I answered him it became apparent that he was deaf.  Now I had a choice.  I could either yell pathetic answers to him at the top of my voice, convincing all and sundry that I was a nutter, or I could just smile sweetly and nod my head.
I chose the latter.
It was at this point that I realised he actually wasn't one of my usual bus stop idiots, but a lovely old guy who wanted someone to talk to.  He told me about his childhood.  How he liked to be outside.  He had known his great grandparents who died in the nineties.  His father had died when he was 16.
He had worked at first in a factory but decided he was getting anywhere and trained to be a baker, which he loved.
He will be having his 50th wedding anniversary this year.  He is 85 and has 5 children.  3 girls and 2 boys, plus various grand children.  He used to be better looking and had blonde hair when he was young. 
All this time, I smiled and nodded.  I did try to answer a couple of times but it was a bit useless really as he couldn't hear me.
When the bus came he told me it was nice meeting me.  I can't think why as I had said very little.  I told him it was lovely to meet him too.
It makes me feel better about the fact that I do respond politely when people talk to me.  Some of my friends tell me not to answer as it only encourages the nutters.  This may be true but if it means that just now and again I hear stories from a very sweet old guy, then it is worth all the others with their "crabs which are leaking" or the " it's a train watch...it goes WOO WOO".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home