Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ticketty Boo

Cedarburg.

I am all ok now (mostly). I have my sensible head back on.......as if.
Saturday we had a peruse around some furniture shops.
The plan was to seek out the cost of a new bed.
As we were considering a new bed, I thought it would be sensible (had the right head on) to get a King Size bed.
Philip is quite a bit larger than me or as one salesman in the bed shop put it when trying to flog us a decent mattress...."Look at you two. He weighs around 130lbs and she weighs about 30lbs."
What a diplomat.
He should be in a foreign minister or something. He would have given Henry Kissinger a run for his money.
We also have numerous felines that like to share our bed. Or, more correctly, they like to share my side of the bed with me.
A King Size bed would be a dream come true.
Alas, I fear a dream is all it will ever be. They sell beds in a peculiar way over here. You have to buy the headboard, baseboard and frame as one unit.
Then you have to buy a mattress and base separately.
We found a headboard for around $400 (this was probably the cheapest one we could find that we liked). I, in my innocence, was thinking.....maybe another couple of hundred for a mattress.
I was a little off in my calculations.
Philip, quite rightly, thought that if we were going to get a new mattress then we should get a decent one. Not top of the range but pretty good. We both suffer with back problems and sleep problems so it would make no sense to get a dirt cheap one.
Mid range then.
$2500 then...................and that was in the sale........and they would charge delivery........and you have to add on sales tax which would then mean we were talking about $3000. Oh of course, then you have to add on the cost of the bed.....another $500ish.
If we had that sort of money to chuck around then I would chuck it at the kitchen or one of the bathrooms.
Sigh........
The old bed isn't too bad.

Sunday we went to Cedarburg.
A charming old American town which I think I have blogged about before. The last time we went we had the most amazing breakfast there. So, we thought we would take Alan.

It is a beautiful, small town, with lots of little shops and a fab converted mill. The mill is now a winery. Lots of places to walk around (if you are well wrapped up in January).
First stop though.........brekkie.
I had been really looking forward to this.
It was pretty crowded in the restaurant, so we had a bit of a wait, but Philip told Alan that it would be well worth it.
It wasn't.
It was pants.......well mine was anyway.
The waitress was a nightmare. She was so over the top, gleefully happy to serve us. Thrilled at our accents which she attempted to emulate. This always winds us up. Why do people think it is cute to try to copy what we say in a dreadful accent?
She was going to get us everything "Licketty splitt".
I ordered the veggie skillet, which is what I had before.
It in no way resembled what I had before. Where were the assortment of vegetables nestling under my 'over easy' eggies? Where were my wonderful, golden crispy hash browns?
I got a mound of undercooked white hash browns which had the same texture as mashed potatoes, topped by a couple of pieces of tomato, a few bits of sad broccoli with eggs on top.
The ebullient waitress fluttered around us continually. She made comments on everything....my bag....my glasses.....
I would not have said a word about the poorly cooked brekkie. We are British. We don't complain.
But, the poxy waitress came to collect our plates and made a big fuss about why I had not eaten my hash browns......which should have been called hash whites. She spoke to me as if I was a child, not finishing my dinner.
So, ok, she wanted to know....so I told her. I didn't eat them because they were not cooked properly. Had they been crisp and golden I would have eaten them.
Ooooh....just for a moment the mask slipped. She didn't like that.
We left our tip and came out.
Then Alan told me that I wasn't the only one who left all the hash browns. The lady at the next table had, apparently, left a whole mound of them on her plate.
I wonder if she got told off too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home