Sunday, January 29, 2012

Alanmas Dinner & Great Lakes Distillery

"Ahhhhh............we meet again Mr Bond." 
He looks so much like a Bond Film villain in this picture with Lily.
 I have got this new blog page set up thingy.   This is my first post using it so it could all go pear shaped.
So far, so good.
Alan cooked us a meal on Wednesday.
It was delish.  We started with tasty mushroom, sherry & wine tarts.
The main course was Talapia (fish) in lemon butter sauce with veggies.
The dessert was this amazing creation below.

 This was the dessert as served.


 This was a few minutes later.
Yummo !!

 Saturday we went to visit two of the foster kittens that we had during the summer.
They are doing really well and look fantastic.  The boy had been the weakliest one out of the litter and it was amazing to see what a strong, beautiful cat he has grown into.
The girl always was pretty but now her fur is even softer.  They are really loved in their new home and it was heartwarming to see them.
I also think it was very kind of the couple to allow us to visit.
After we left there we made our way downtown to The Great Lakes Distillery.
I hadn't known this existed until I saw a segment about it on the news the day before.
Milwaukee is well known for its breweries but we never knew they had a distillery.
It was a brill deal.   We got a free guided tour of the distillery by a young guy who really knew his stuff and explained the whole process.  It was really rather interesting as he added a lot of history regarding distilling/prohibition etc.
After the tour for $5 you can have a tasting of 5 of the different spirits they make.
There was whiskey, gin, rum, absynthe & vodka.  Philip was driving so he didn't take part and neither did I.  I am hopeless at drinking during the day.  This was 1pm and if I had drunk those spirits I would have been flat out.
Alan made up for our failings.  He liked most of them.   Philip and I got to sniff them and decided that the rum smelled like rum/butter.   The gin also smelled very smooth.
They bought a few things.  They had shot glasses and t.shirts as well as booze. Have a look at this link.  It is very interesting.

http://greatlakesdistillery.com/

All in all a good day despite having to clear the snow again before we left.
It had to be cleared again this morning but......it is Wisconsin.
I think Alan is having a lovely time.  I hope so.  Currently he is watching the American football ProBowl...........no I don't know either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home