Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Land of Nod





I have mentioned before that we would like a new bed.
Not just any old bed, but a decent mattress which might help our backs and various aches and pains.
Also, we would like a king size one.
Philip is a big guy and therefore takes up quite a bit of room.
Also, I have varying numbers of cats to accommodate during the night so a big bed seems like a good idea.
As my mum used to say about most things, "If you are going to have one, have a big 'un".
I never was all that sure exactly what she was referring too and thought it wise not to ask.
We have been looking at the memory foam type mattresses.  We did sleep on one of these when we were in Bradford and it was pants, but, we think it was probably a cheapo one.
Philip found himself sinking right through it and lying on the board beneath.
Not good.
The ones we were taken with, after almost nodding off in the store, were lovely.
They also make sense to us as with his lordship being a tad heavier than me, this means I won't keep rolling into the dip he has made.
But, they are really expensive.
On Friday we had a flyer come through the mail advertising a new mattress shop which had just opened not far from us.  They had a lot of special "grand opening" offers.
Being of a suspicious nature, I had already decided they were all probably a con.
They advertised a king size memory foam mattress and base for $799.
Considering the cheapest we had seen elsewhere was $2500.......I thought it was a bit fishy.
We went to have a look on Saturday, fully expecting there to either :-
1. Be none left.
2. Be a load of rubbish.
We were wrong.  They were brill.
We have ordered one and it should arrive on Thursday.  They will also remove the old mattress and base which is a blessing.
It will have to be on the floor for a bit because we have to get a bed to put in on.  The whole bed thing is different over here.  All a bit weird really.  We have seen one which we like and can afford and hope to order it at the end of the month.

It looks like this.
It is called a Sleigh Bed.  I have wanted one since we first moved over here.  I don't know if they have them in the U.K.
Saturday afternoon we met up with Gary as it was his birthday on Friday.
We had lunch with him which proved eventful.  I shouldn't eat out as it is nearly always "eventful" when I do.
Firstly, I ordered a wrap and got a tuna sandwich.
Then Gary got a place of fruit instead of fries.
The waitress was very sorry about it and whisked my sandwich away and told Gary he could keep the fruit and she would bring fries too.
We were quite happy with that, but she had noticed the birthday prezzies we had bought Gary and as gesture of goodwill she and two other waitresses brought him a huge slice of cake with a candle in it.
They then proceeded to sing "Happy Birthday" to him.
This made Gary suitably embarrassed and rounded off the meal.
 He seemed to like the "Sexy Super Hero" paper dress up dollies book I bought him, plus the tin of Ouija Mints.
We then wandered outside to "ooh and ahhh" over Gary's new car. 
All in all not a bad day.

Oh also, I have spoken to Alan and it seems he is having a fab time in Whitstable.  I think he was going to Belgium or somewhere equally exotic to visit an aquarium yesterday.  I am sure he will have enjoyed that trip.

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Uji, Angel Izzy, Ziggy, Angel Bean, Angel Hiro and Momma Tea said...

Oooh I am well jel now I love sleigh beds

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home