Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dilemmas,,,,,,

This is a picture of a statue of Fonzie which is in downtown Milwaukee.
In case you didn't know it, Happy Days was set in Milwaukee.
I only put it here as I think it is an excellent piece of art/sculpture.

Dilemma :-  Philip has a friend ( I know him too) at work who has written a book.  He has had it published.  I thought it was published by a company but apparently you can sort of publish a book yourself, at your own cost.
I really don't know how it all works but anyway, he has asked me to read it.
He has also asked me to give a review of it on Amazon.
Oh poo.
This is where I find myself in a dilemma.
What if I don't like it?
I don't mean, what if I hate it.   Just, what if I don't like it?
How am I going to review it?
You see, even if it is a friend, I cannot bring myself to give false praise.   I will not tell someone the work they have produced is brilliant if I think it isn't.
I will praise stuff that I do think is good.  I am only too keen to give praise to someone with talent.
What happens is that friends tell each other that they are wonderful at something simply because they are friends.   What if this book isn't any good? 
If I were to tell him it is really great, then he will expect to be able to sell it and will be so disappointed when it turns out only his friends buy it.........and they are only buying it because they are his friends.
I have a friend who makes amazing greeting cards.  She really is talented and the cards are so original and pretty.  I am always telling her how clever she is.
I know another guy who has started tattooing.  He does wonderful artwork and should do it professionally, in my opinion, although I know it is very difficult to get into.  I also tell him how impressive his work is whenever I see it.
Another friend does beautiful tie-dying and makes cute coats for dogs.  I love them...and say so.
My father in law produces beautiful abstract artwork.
I have one of his paintings on my wall.

But, in the same vein, I cannot hurt someone's feelings by criticizing what they have done.  If this book turns out to be pants, I would not be able to tell him so.
I shall do what I always do.
I shall do what Thumper's dad taught him.
"If you can't say nuthin' nice, then don't say nuthin' at all."
I have found this to be the safest option and do use it when I have to.

I shall do a review on Amazon........although I would prefer not to..............but I shall choose my words very carefully.  I would not want to upset him.
Who knows?   I may be worrying about nothing.   It might be an amazing epic that I shall rave about.
Oh I do hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home