Monday, May 16, 2011

Hello Bluey



Saturday we bought a hummingbird feeder.
When we lived in Illinois for a year we had hummingbirds who came regularly to our balcony.
They were so beautiful, like tiny metallic, shiny bees.
They seemed unconcerned about me being out on the balcony and would hover around me.
I thought that Milwaukee was too far north for hummingbirds.
I was wrong.
No, that blue bird isn't a hummingbird, but my friend June put out a hummingbird feeder and she now has them visit every day.
I was so envious.
We put out our hummingbird feeder, complete with hummingbird nectar, over the weekend.
The weather has been awful, cold, windy and raining so I wasn't expecting any delicate little hummingbirds.
I also wasn't expecting this beautiful blue bird that showed up yesterday to the regular bird feeder. After researching a bit I have found out he is an Indigo Bunting.
I have also found out we were very lucky to get him as they are very rare around here.
I took some photos but he was actually much brighter than this. I had to photograph him through the window screen which blurs things a bit.

This was the actual bright blue that he was.
Gorgeous.

At the same time we had this guy on the finch feeder.
He is an American Goldfinch and as bright yellow as a canary.
We get quite a lot of these and other finches but the blue bird is a welcome first.
The weather today is sunny and a bit warmer so I hoping the hummingbirds find the feeder soon.
I shall buzz off now and watch for the little hummies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home