Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A decision.


I think I have made a decision.
Oh I know ......it does take me a time.
This week is my fourth (I think) without any work.
I had been doing only one day a week for some time. Then it was reduced to one day every couple of weeks.
I sort of knew I would need to find something else.
Now I haven't had any days for all this time then I really must.
I am limited in as much as I don't drive over here and, at the moment, buying a car just for me is out of the question.
I have been scouring the paper for weeks now. I have also been searching online......but no luck.
I did have that one interview for teaching English to foreigners but it seems I am not qualified enough to teach my native tongue and besides that.......the pay was crappity crap crap.

So, today I had a bit of a brain fart.
When we first came over here I wasn't allowed a work permit. So, what did I do?
I volunteered.
I worked voluntarily at the Humane Society and also at The Milwaukee Theatre.
I enjoyed it.
I made new friends, which I really needed coming to a totally new country and having left a busy full time job I had been in for years.

I am going to volunteer again. I had to leave the last two as we moved too far away for me to get to them on the buses.
But, there are a couple of places near here that need volunteers so I am going to apply after Donna and Lauren go home next month.
My thoughts are.........it is often who you know rather than what you know with jobs.
Volunteering will give me the opportunity to meet new people and who knows, maybe have a chance of a paying job that way.
I certainly can't continue as I am so it is worth a try. With luck I might make some good contacts.

The picture above is Golly. He is the first cat we had over here obtained from the Humane Society when I was volunteering.
Bubba also came from there.
There is a Wolf Sanctuary not far from here that needs volunteers.
With my past record of bringing animals home...........probably better if I don't apply there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home