Thursday, January 27, 2011

Peculiar indeed.

When I make my annual pilgrimages to the Motherland, I like to pick up some goodies to bring back with me.
Stuff I would never be able to buy here.
Some of it I put away as little Christmas treats for Philip.
One of these this year was Marmite flavoured chocolate.
He loves Marmite.
He loves chocolate.
What could go wrong?
Quite a lot actually.
He hated it. I have only just found this out, having assumed the said chocolate had been consumed long since.
But, I found it the other day and he confessed his abhorrence of the confection. (Coo...get me and my ten cent words).
So I had a go.
I love it. I only eat a tiddy bit at time but I think it is delicious.
I advise everyone to give it a try.

Alan can now vouch for the continuing efficiency of my "Idiot Magnet".
We were at the bus stop.........oh why, oh why, is it always 'at the bus stop', when a lady asked me which bus we were waiting for.
I told her the 64 and she said she had been waiting ages for the 76....blah, blah, blah.....usual bus stop conversation....etc.
Then she said.
"Where are you from?" Of course this happens all the time.
On being informed we were from England she beamed and launched into a monologue of her friendship with Charles Dickens' grandson (or great grandson....or Auntie Nelly ....some such).
Oh she went on and on ....she had corresponded with this grandson for many years until he died ...well I suppose it had to stop then.
She had visited England a couple of times and gone round all the Charles Dickens hotspots, if there are such things.
She also had another English lady penfriend who she hadn't visited when she had been over as she was on a coach tour and you had to go where the coach trips went.
So she hadn't told her she was going so as not to upset her...........blah, de blah, de blah.
Would this never end?

Joy !!! Her bus came.
It stopped and let the people off.
Did she shut up and get on.......NO!
She continued to bore us....I mean speak to us of her letters to Dickens' Uncle Lou...I mean grandson.
I was looking anxiously at the bus. I was actually worried she would miss it. For more than one reason. I mean......who knew how long our bus would be?
The bus closed its doors.
"You will miss your bus", I panicked.
She then ambled over to it, but kept looking back and yelling more tidbits of her claim to fame....she was in mid sentence even as the doors closed behind her.
Phew!!

Always count your blessings though. It could have been far worse.
She could have been waiting for OUR bus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home