Friday, June 11, 2010

Styx

Light Up.

Wednesday we went to the first River Rhythms free concert of the season.
We had perfect weather.
Warm, sunny and very pleasant. It was probably one of the warmest opening nights we have ever had.
It usually can get a bit chilly for the first couple of concerts but Wednesday was brill.
I was so pleased to be back there.
We met Gary over there, put the blanket out, put the chairs out, dished up the grub and then relaxed by the river, watching the boats go by.
Lots of boats.
Big ones, little ones. Long rowing boats and motor boats.

The band were a tribute band.
A tribute to Styx.
I have to admit I am not familiar with Styx.
Philip said they were from the 70's.

They always have very good bands and these were brilliant musicians.
The singer was excellent.
But, I don't think I was particularly fond of Styx.
Mostly I couldn't even remember the songs they did. A lot of people could.
There was quite a large crowd there and many people were wearing Styx or, as the band were called, Light Up, t shirts.
Philip was impressed, he said they sounded just like them.
They must have because a lot of people were getting excited. There was much dancing and cheering.
The two last songs they played I did remember.
I am probably just not a big Styx fan.
I still had a brill night though.
I did make our American chum Gary almost choke on his drink.

We were talking about British biscuits (as opposed to cookies) and I told Gary that he should dip his ginger nuts in his tea.
Apparently this means something entirely different to an American.
His reply was that he would if " it wasn't too hot".

How odd.

I think Brother, the Aussie band with the men in leather kilts (steady) is on the week after next.
Oooooooooooh........Matron.

Dave Barry quote :

Everyone knows what babies do on planes: They stand on their parents' laps and stick their heads up over the seats, so they can get maximum range when they shriek.
On a baby-intensive plane, you see shrieking baby heads constantly popping up all over, like prairie dogs from hell.
As a parent in this situation, your fervent hope is that the other babies on the plane will shriek louder than yours, thereby diverting passenger hatred away from you.
It would not surprise me to learn that some parents creep under seats and pinch other people's babies to set them off.
I myself would never do such a thing.
I carry a slingshot.

1 Comments:

At June 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Heather said...

I love the quote...I'm not planning on taking our baby on a plane for a very long time!!

And I'm very envious you get to see the men in leather Kilts again soon, I'm really looking forward to the photos :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home