Friday, April 16, 2010

I hate teeth.

On Tuesday I had to go to the dentist.
Just for a cleaning.
Heh........that is so easy to say....."just for cleaning".
Cleaning can be one of the worst experiences, in my opinion, at the dentist.

I go at least every six months.
The hygienist always tries to talk me into going every 4 months.
But, my insurance (like every poxy insurance over here) will not pay for cleaning every 4 months even if the professionals say it is necessary.
So, she makes me an appointment for 4 months and then about a month before, I phone and change it to a couple of months later. She seems ok with that.
Anyway, I hate going. I have been dreading it coming round for weeks now.
But, Tuesday I had to go.

When I got there the receptionist asked if I had remembered to bring "it".
What?
She insisted that last time I was there she had asked me to read Mary Poppins to her. It is a British accent obsession that is rife in Milwaukee.
As soon as I open my gob it is..........."Oooooh you have a accent.......where are you from?"...etc...etc....
Sometimes, in restaurants the servers get what Philip and I call the "Accent Stare".
They are so swept away by the fact that someone speaks differently that they totally glaze over and don't hear a word you say. We have had some odd meals from servers who's brains have shut down when we have tried to order.
But, I am waffling again.
Back to the dentist. The other receptionist said "she isn't going to remember that .....it was 6 months ago".
Of course not, I can rarely remember what I did last week and I told her so.

Then the hygienist came to get me. A different lady.
I was quite pleased as I thought that maybe this one would be gentler than my usual one , Mary.
I sat in the chair and this lady explained that there was a mix up and I was with her just this time.
Just then Mary leaned round the door and made apologetic noises.
I was having none of it.
"Oh don't you bother", I yelled. " I know when I am not wanted. You just couldn't bear to see me this time. Don't you worry about it. I will be ok. Go and get on with your client who is obviously your favourite."
We all had a good chuckle and I settled down for the torture that I hoped would be less arduous than Mary's torture.
Pah...........was I wrong.
This lady was a monster.
How can it be, when I am there regularly every 6 months, that she has to take bloody great chisels and pneumatic drills into my delicate cake hole to scrape off apparently huge boulders which are stuck to my pearlies?
I had taken two paracetamol before I left home.....just in case. I should have taken more.
It was a nightmare.
There must, in this day and age, be a better way.
I will never see this lady again. I so appreciate Mary now and she isn't gentle.
My gums are still sore. I made an appointment for 4 months time.
I will have to remember to change it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home