Saturday, May 4, 2013

May The Fourth.......blah blah blah.

Firstly.
We have a new birdie in the garden.
He looks like he is wearing a bicycling helmet but I couldn't see his bike anywhere.
I have no idea what he is and the picture is a bit fuzzy, but I shall try to look him up on the interwebs.

I then found a something strange sleeping in the airing cupboard.
It has been a bit chilly again these last few days so I suppose it is a good place to warm up.

This morning we had to go to the bank.
Philip had to sort some mortgage mallarky out and while he was talking to a nice lady in a cubicle I waited in the waiting area.
Banks here are very civilised.
They have free coffee and newspapers.
An elderly man came in and helped himself to some coffee.   I did feel sorry for him.  He walked unsteadily even with a cane and his hands were shaking.
He sat down next to me and after taking a slug of his coffee he started to cough.
"Oops," he spluttered, "Gone down the wrong way."
"Ah of course." I replied.
He looked at me very carefully and said, "Are you English?"
Wow he got that from those few words.
After admitting that I was born and brought up in London and had lived over here for 15 years (yes really that long now) he decided to tell me a joke.
My heart fell.  I really don't like jokes.

1,  I don't get them.
2.  I guess the punchline long before it is reached.
3.  I don't find them funny.
I was beginning to regret not accompanying Philip into the nice lady's cubicle.
It went something like this.

A man was driving his car when it started making a noise.  Clunk, clunk, clunk, it went.  The passenger asked the man what the noise was.
"Just the engine knocking" said the driver.
"Oh should we let it in." said the passenger.

By now I was sure that  my idiot magnet was powered up magnificently.
I had no means of escape....so I laughed politely at his joke fearing it was the first of many.
Then this old man, who had a rather musty smell too, asked me if I liked Dr Who.
Now I don't pretend to be a huge fan of Doctor Who but anything was better than another joke.
So I told him I was.
This guy knew every Doctor, every companion - their names and their real names.  He was naming episodes left right and centre.
I was so amazed.
He was also quite amusing too.
He told me of the places he would like to visit if he had a Tardis.
Someone came and asked if he was waiting to see someone and he admitted that he had only come into the bank to rest his legs.  Bless him.
I felt quite ashamed that I had put him in the "idiot magnet"  section.
He introduced himself as Jim and I had to shake his hand.  I admit to hesitating, just slightly, as the hand was rather dirty.  Fortunately I carry hand sanitizer for just such emergencies......I did wait until we left though before applying it.
He said he hoped he would run into me again and I jokingly said that when he is The Doctor and gets his Tardis I could be his companion and we could travel through time and space.
He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and with a twinkle, said,  " I think I would like that."

Do you think I pulled?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home