Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Don't mention the weather........I did once.

                                                                          MYSTIQUE

Firstly...I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now.
It is all done bar the tweaking.
Apart from the under painting, which was done in acrylics, it is all oils.
Philip really likes this one.
Painting is my therapy really.......well that and swimming.
Me and my old mate, June, have started swimming regularly again. 
Philip's step father and his partner gave me a super funny cat book for my birthday.  It really is one of those books that make you laugh out loud.
I drove Philip nuts when I kept reading bits out to him.  I had intended to let June read it but it is very British.
There are quite a few references to British things that people over here won't have a clue about.
Anyway, while swimming I mentioned this to her and how she was welcome to borrow it but I thought it might be a bit too 'British' a read for her.
"Oh no," said June, " I watch a lot of British programmes on TV and I am really able to understand the accent now."
Bless her. She didn't know why I laughed.
One bit I keep remembering is when the writer, and it is meant to be a true blog type story, is in the local card shop at Christmas.
Now you have to know Yorkshire people, particularly Yorkshire men to really get the beauty of this.
Dour ...is a good description.
Anyway, whilst the writer was shopping for Christmas cards an elderly man came into the shop and told the assistant that his wife had sent him to find some more cards like the ones she had bought previously.
The assistant asked what was on the cards.
"Angels," he replied.
The writer decided to help the old man too and he and the assistant went through many cards displaying angels (at Christmas there tends to be more than a few with angels on) but with no success. He shook his head at every card they suggested.
After sometime the assistant was getting a bit fed up with this and she asked the elderly man what the angels were doing on the card.
After several minutes thought the man replied, "buggering about."

I have no idea what June will make of "buggering about."

The title of this blog is about weather.
I knew...I just knew I should not have mentioned how gorgeous it has been here the last few days.
Temps of 85F, about 30C (in old money).
The kids are all out in shorts and flip flops.
So, what did the dear weatherman tell us yesterday?    He told us that tomorrow it is all change.
Becoming very cold with  strong storms.   These might be snow storms or, if we are extremely lucky, they could be rain.
I sat next to a guy at the bus stop this morning on my way to work.
We were wearing t.shirts etc...no gloves or boots.   He started talking about how lovely it was and then mentioned the change on its way.
He was born and bred in Wisconsin.  He just had to say it didn't he?
"Well this is Wisconsin.  We can get snow this time of year."
Then when we got on the bus another guy got on.   He rummaged around in his backpack for a moment, retrieved a wad of leaflets and proceeded to go the length of the bus handing them out.
He gave everyone a leaflet and as he did so he yelled "REJOICE" each time.
The leaflets were not about the weather.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home