Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Alanmas can be chilly....

Poor Alan.
Sometimes I wonder if he thinks we live in Narnia.
January and February are the only times he can come over here as this is when the hotel he works in closes.
He has only ever seen Milwaukee as frozen tundra.
He has never seen how fab it can be in the Summer and Autumn. Notice I left Spring out as it doesn't always seem to happen.
No daffodils and tulips for us.
It often seems to switch right over from snow and ice to sunny and warm.
One year I hope he can visit during the Summer and see the festivals, the free concerts etc.
This in itself would probably cause a problem for him though.
If he were to work somewhere where he could take time off during the year then he would probably be able to take just a couple of weeks at a time.
Couple this with the airfares being at least double the winter prices, and it wouldn't seem worth it.
He is used to spending around 6 weeks or so with us and really relaxing so I think a mere 2 weeks would fly by too quickly.
Yesterday was cold even by our standards.
When I got up I noticed thick ice on the insides of the windows.   This house is centrally heated (of course) but it was so cold on the other side of the glass that it came through and kept the ice solid on the inside....if you catch my drift.
The windchill had taken it down to minus 32C.  Warnings of frostbite were in place and I have not ventured out since Sunday.
I couldn't even go to work today.  Way too cold for walking to and from bus stops and waiting for buses.  I am sitting here typing wrapped in a blankie.
Anyway, yesterday Alan wanted to go to the shop on the corner.
I think it took him longer to put on all his thermal undies than it did to get to the shop.
I reminded him to put on his hat and scarf and try to keep as much of his face covered as possible.
When he returned, looking like Scott of the Artic, Sherpa Alan had one complaint.
His eyes hurt.
He said the cold had made him keep blinking .....I hadn't thought of that.  Apart from being cold, the air here is very dry.  I have to have a humidifier on all night or I can't open my eyes in the morning.  They are swollen shut.  
"Really sometimes I wonder if Wisconsin was meant for human habitation."
Anyway, probably the cold, dry air was drying his eyes out and had made them hurt.  This is no way around this, unless you have goggles I suppose.
It reminds me of a line from the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation....when the mum says...."She will look at it later Clark, her eyeballs are frozen."

One of Donna's Milwaukee chums put on facebook........"Don't ya just love it when you go out and the inside of your nose freezes."
This has happened to Philip.

Oh......roll on .....VEGAS BABY !!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home