Thursday, August 9, 2012

State Fair etc

                                                                 Persian Kitty

The above is a mixed media (acrylic and oils) painting I have been working on.
It isn't finished yet but isn't far off.
It has kept me sane over the last few weeks.

Tuesday we went to State Fair.
It wasn't the best day to go because Tuesday was forecast as the hottest day of the week.
Unfortunately, it was the only day Philip could take off.   Well, he could have taken Wednesday but I had to work on Wednesday.
We met up with our friend Gary and started to explore.
You really need to go on about 4 days (and have lots more energy than we have) to even try to see it all.
One day is sufficient for us.
This year they had a couple of new things...........deep friend cheesecake on a stick and beer ice cream floats.
 Both sounded like things I could live without so we searched for the blooming onions.


This is a blooming onion.
It is my favourite thing to eat at the fair.
It is crispy and comes with a dip.  Delish.

Gary and I both had a blooming onion, whilst Philip had a mountain of chicken, cole slaw, chips and a bun.
I am always over ambitious though.  I am always certain I am going to eat my onion, then have funnel cakes and elephant ears, and , and,....
This year, as usual, I managed to eat about a quarter of the blooming onion before I was full.
I gave most of  the rest to Philip and threw what remained away.
Why can't I eat it all?  It is only an onion for heaven's sake. .....blooming or otherwise.

I did manage some ice cream later but the heat was beginning to affect me.
Blazing sun, 95F (37C I think), all a bit too much.  We kept diving into buildings that had air conditioning but by about 3pm we had had enough.
Once more I was feeling quite poorly.  I felt poorly all evening, had a very bad night and was woken by the new neighbour's dog at 5.30am barking at a squirrel up our tree.
They live across the road on the corner so he must have escaped their garden and found his way to ours.  I hope they don't make a habit of this as they have only been there about a week.
Wednesday at work I still felt pants but took some pills. Then, coming home, I waited 45 minutes for the poxy bus (don't know what happened there) which didn't do much to make me feel any better.
I decided I couldn't be bothered to go to River Rhythms that evening and told Gary.
It seems he too had had too much sun and didn't feel great either.
At least now it is back to around 80F, which to us feels quite a lot better.

Our garden is like a wildlife park at the moment.  This morning around the birdie feeder there were,  3 squirrels, 2 chipmunks, finches, sparrows, doves, cardinals and the baby bunny.
I love the baby bunny.  He kept me amused for ages.  He was rolling around in the dust and then suddenly started whizzing around the garden like a thing possessed.  Round the tree, through the bushes and back again.
He is so cute but growing fast.  I haven't seen the mummy or daddy bunnies for a long time though.
I think there are so many birds at the feeder because this drought seems to have limited the insect population.  Virtually no mosquitoes (unusual for Milwaukee in the summer) and I have only seen a  couple of fireflies.  So, I suppose the birds really need the seed.

Today I stayed indoors and continued with my painting.  I have the above Persian and another one on the go.  I also have another dog portrait to do.
Thank goodness for that.  As I said....sometimes it drives me nuts other times it keeps me sane.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home