Thursday, August 2, 2012

Battle of The Bands....again.

Wednesday wasn't all wonderful.
It wasn't all bad either.
At work I had an angina attack in the morning........that wasn't wonderful but I had sort of been expecting it.
I had become so stressed at the weekend that I thought it might happen.
The heat was getting to me too.
We are still in a serious drought with high temperatures.
Going home was a bit pants.  It was so hot walking to and from the bus stop.  The dynamite pills (nitro glycerine) I take for the angina leave me light headed and that didn't help.
Anyway, at  least I could look forward to River Rhythms in the evening.

We met up with Gary and found out that tonight was battle of the bands.
We saw this two years ago.  We didn't go to it last year as it wasn't that great the first time.
This time there were 6 bands.  SIX.
The compare was the horrible, slimy old perv that they had the first time.
He thinks he is so great but I have a suspicion that he is the only one who does.

First band.  Girl singing & playing guitar, girl singing along & bloke on a drum.
Mostly pants.  Lead singer had nice voice.
Second band.  Young guys, lively, brilliant musicians but sang like things that couldn't sing at all.
Third band.  Young guys, lively, brilliant musicians who could also sing.
Fourth band.  God rock band.  This immediately infuriated my other half.  They had quite a large following in the crowd.  They were very good.  Too good.  They were older and extremely professional.  It turned out that they had been together for over 10 years and had already made an album.
This wasn't quite fair.   The idea is that it is new talent  (some might not use the word talent but they would be being unkind) and the first prize is a chance to play at SummerFest next year.
This God rock band didn't seem to need that sort of a chance.
Fifth band.  Awful.  Guy singing & playing guitar.  Well, it was supposed to be singing .....I think, unless someone was standing on his toe.
I can't remember who made up the rest.  Probably a guitar player and drummer.  Dreadful.
Sixth band.   They were three black guys.  Guitarist who was brilliant.  Singer who also played guitar - good voice and a drummer.   They were what Philip called a "thrash" band.  They came as quite a shock really.  Very loud.  I didn't think they would stand a chance.
We really wanted the third band to win.

 There were 3 judges who deliberated while pervy commentator got on everyone's nerves.

Results......3rd place.......... band number 6....the loud thrash band.
I will just add here that the God rock band were looking very smug.  All their supporters were standing in obvious anticipation of a resounding win.
                  2nd place...........the God rock band.
Oh they were not happy.
                  1st place............band number 3.  The ones we liked.   I was so pleased for them.

Today, Thursday,  I popped out to the mall.
It is still hot but I needed to get out.  At least the walk to and from the bus stop is much shorter.
I was happy to see that not only did Dollar Tree have their Halloween stuff out but as I turned into the next aisle........there was the Christmas stuff.
Brilliant.

State Fair is on now until August 12th.  We are hoping to go on Tuesday if Philip has the day off.
I hear they have deep fried butter, deep fried beer and deep fried cheesecake on sticks this year.
I think I shall stick to my blooming onion and dip.  Yummy.

               


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home