Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weekend...bad start.

                                                                Baby Bunny


The funeral for my friend's mum was at 1pm Saturday.
It was horrid.
Well, not horrid.  It all went well, the hymns were lovely and the pastor did a beautiful service.
But it was a lot different to the funerals I have attended back home.
The worst thing, in my opinion, was that they have the casket open all through the service and you are supposed to go up and gaze at the poor deceased lying there.
In fact, you could see her from right at the back of the room.........which is where we stayed.
I really, really don't like that idea.
People do not look their best when they are dead and it just seemed awful to watch the procession of people going up to stare at her.
I would much rather remember someone when they were alive, fun and smiling.  Remember them from a happy time, not a cold shadow of the person lying in a casket, which tends to be an image you can never shake.
Maybe I am wrong.  It has been known.
Also, like most things over here, the dress code was so casual.
Philip and I had dressed formerly, not in black, but in some of our best, subdued clothing as we would at an English funeral.  Unless of course something else has been requested.
I went to the funeral of a colleague of mine in England and he had  requested that bright colours should be worn.  I thought that was excellent and really matched his personality.
But, at this funeral people were there in shorts, t. shirts ....any old thing.
They could have been popping out to the supermarket.   I found that odd, but it must be the way they do it over here. 
It all went ok and we slipped out as soon as we decently could without going near the casket.
I did like my friend's mum a lot and shall miss her.   She was always such a 'lady'.

Then the bridal shower at 5.30pm.
Philip dropped me off and I went in.  I didn't know a soul accept my friend.
Most of the people were her family and I hadn't ever met them before.  She sat me down with one young lady who was sitting on her own, saying that we could keep each other company.
Yeah right.  This girl just continued playing on her phone - as is the way of many people nowadays.
My friend had called out to a group of relatives to introduce me as her friend from England.
So, trying to be friendly and break the ice I went to speak to them.   Fumbling for something to spark a conversation I asked if they had watched the opening ceremony of the olympic games.  A couple of the ladies said they had but one of the guys started making fun of the way I speak.  He was trying to mimic an English accent with cries of "Cheerio" etc.
I don't know why people do this.  There is nothing endearing about it.  It is just offensive.  He thought he was so clever, looking at the people in his little group and laughing.  All the time I am standing there looking like an idiot.
One of the ladies said how much she enjoyed the ceremony and I ,ignoring the imbecile beside her, said I thought it could have done without Paul McCartney as he seemed a little tired.
She was trying to agree with me and we attempted polite conversation, all the while the idiot was mimicking what I said.
He then said loudly "Well, it wasn't as good as the Bejing games."
I, politely replied, "No, probably not, but it is a different culture really."
Then, said the moron, looking around at his entourage and grinning, "Yeah Brits are just boring.".
I couldn't believe it . Why would you be so rude to someone you had just met, who was there on her own and had tried to be friendly.
"Oh, thank you," I replied, " I like you too."
I then returned to my lonely spot on the other table without looking back at them.
I hadn't wanted to go to this "do" in the first place.  Now I wanted to go home and it hadn't even started.
There were so many things I would have liked to say to him but I would not be rude to any one if I could avoid it.  I certainly did not let my friend know although I think he is probably the idiot in the family that will always do stuff like this.
My ex had a brother who was exactly like it.  He was (and from what I hear still is) obnoxious.
It is a form of bullying.  The people around him would all be laughing with him because they were only to relieved he was picking on someone else and not them.
He is also a terrible coward.
The rest of the evening was horrible.
I shall never say anything about it to my friend, unless one of her relatives tells her what he was like.  If she asks me, then I shall tell her.
I will never, ever go to a family "do" of hers again.
I do hasten to add that this is the first time anyone has been so rude to me since we moved over here.  The Americans we have met have always been friendly and charming.  

The picture at the top is of a baby bunny that is living in our garden.
We have big rabbits that spend a lot of time there but this is obviously the result of them doing what bunnys do best.  He is so sweet.  I hope the poxy hawk keeps away because I would be very upset if he got him.

1 Comments:

At July 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM , Blogger Tracey Anne said...

Sorry you had such a bad time at your friends bridal shower, I know how you feel, I have met people like that too, who's main goal is to belittle you for no good reason than for their own amusement , once at Pages bar a guy spent half an hour telling me how I resembled Mary Crosby more than Denise as I shared her skin type. what a jerk, I had no idea why this guy was being so cruel!!Now I know sweetie, A friend told me later that these people have their own cross to bear as they obviously are sufferers of COA's (Centre of Attention Syndrome) a common condition amonst Twats, that feel there is someone in the room more attractive,intelligent and interesting than themselves. These people don't have carers as the smell of BS is too much for any sane person to tolerate, and the side effects are horrid including tiny genitalia ,bad breath and the inability to succeed at anything worth while!! You should take pity on them as they will return home alone. I think you are so brave living so far from home and embracing your love for us back here. sending big fat hugs xxx Tracey xxx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home