Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Meltdown

These pictures show just some of the stuff I had to cook for Arnie, our visiting possum, yesterday.
I had found a puddle at the bottom of the fridge/freezer in the basement.
My worst fears were confirmed when I opened the freezer part to find the contents warm, soggy and anything but frozen.
I could have cried....and almost did.
We had bought our Christmas food last weekend.......turkey etc and it was all ruined.
I had no idea how long it had been defrosted which meant cooking it for ourselves was totally out of the question.
I remember when we had power cuts in the UK we were told that frozen food would stay frozen in the freezer for 48 hours (I think) as long as you didn't open the door.
Well, this stuff must have been defrosted for some time.
The fridge light still came on and at first I thought that was still working. A thermometer which read 60F soon convinced me that that had broken too.
I spent most of the morning lugging black bags of heavy food upstairs and then dragging them out to the rubbish bin.
I then decided to cook some stuff for Arnie, the possum.


It just seemed too wicked to throw everything out.
So, I fired up the oven and began cooking it all.
Coo, the house smelled amazing.
I also had 7 Christmas cakes to ice for Philip's chums at work and a couple of my mates too.
I also had 2 loads of laundry on the go.
Oh, I did have fun.
What with my dodgy hand and arm..........it was pants.


I finished up doing my back in totally.
Last night I could barely move so I spent the evening stretched out on the sofa.
I did manage to drink 3 brandies though.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Yesterday afternoon Philip found a comparable fridge/freezer online at Sears.
This morning at around 10am they delivered it.
The delivery and installation was free - plus they even took the old one away.
They had to take the back door and screen door off to bring it in and they put them back on again.
The service over here is amazing. The guys told me that we should soon be getting a phone call from the company to ask what we thought of their work.
He said they will ask what number on a scale of 1 - 5. I assured him they would get a 5.

We were going to go shopping this evening to refill the freezer but apparently it takes 24 hours to get cold enough. We will go tomorrow.
A friend mentioned insurance........ha ha ha.
Insurance here is pants.
We can't claim on the insurance because our deductible (the amount we have to pay out before they will pay out) is greater than the amount we lost.

I am just happy to have a fridge/freezer for Christmas .
What would we have done with all the leftovers!!!

Arnie had two packets of shrimp and a veggie bake last night.
He must think it is Christmas already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home