Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tigress Woods

Hoops & Graces.

Monday Philip took Lauren to play golf.
I have given her my clubs as I haven't played for over a year now.
I found it really hurt my wrist and arm so it put me off.
She was more chuffed over having a trolley to pull around than anything.
Nope....not true.........she was mostly chuffed over whooping Philip's a@$%& than anything else.
He mumbled something about the scoring being a bit off but at the end of the day she won.
She has had a few lessons and apparently it shows.
Now if only the mosquitoes hadn't been biting her.

Tuesday we were off to Old World Wisconsin.
Really interesting place.......like travelling back in time ( 1800's) to Little House on the Prairie.
All the houses, farms, church, town hall, school house etc were all original buildings that had been brought together to show how tough things were back then.
In each house/farm etc there were people in period costume who told and showed us how things were done.
Butter churning, soap making etc.
It was really a hard life. I had no idea.

They also had toys and games of the times too.
Funny how the kids loved these old wooden toys. We did too actually. We all played with them.
One really cool toy was called Hoops & Graces. (Picture at the top).
You have a couple of sticks each and a hoop. You put the hoop on your set of crossed sticks and then just pull them apart. The hoop, in theory, flies to the other person who catches it on his sticks and does the same thing back to you.
Sounds easy doesn't it?
I was pants at it. My hoop just flew off sideways.
Philip and Lauren, after a bit of practice were brill. They finished up doing it with 2 hoops at the same time.
The ladies asked if they wouldn't mind staying there and demonstrating while they all went off for some tea with me.
The stilts were popular too.
A kind lady spent a couple of minutes showing Lauren what to do and after a wobbly start she was off.
Lauren talked about those wooden toys all the way home. When I told her that was all the kids back then would have to play with she said "Cool".




I am sure she would soon miss this though.
Back home with just enough energy for a touch of Rock Band.

The bloody mosquitoes are a nightmare this year.
It said on the news that this is the worst year ever for mozzies or skeeters (as they are known here).
We sprayed ourselves all over with repellent but they still bit Lauren again at Old Wisconsin.
It is very hot here at the moment so what with that and skeeters, I think we only saw about half of the village before exhaustion set in.
They do have little trams that run constantly around the place. The cost is included in your ticket and you can get on and off as many times as you like.
I think it would be wonderful in the Autumn when the weather is cooler and the leaves are changing.
Of course there was a gift shop.
They sold sets of Hoops & Graces and I would have bought one for Lauren but they were $27.
I have since found them on the interwebs for around $19.
I bet they would be a lot of fun for those people who like to go camping.

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Manky Badger said...

Hoops & Gracies sounds fun - and it's not just the US with the mozzies - I've had one or two bites myself :o(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home