Monday, August 30, 2010

LaurenFest 2010 ends :(

Saturday we went to Racine Zoo.
This is a small zoo but anything with animals works for Lauren....well and me really.
It is right on the shore of Lake Michigan.
It is hard to believe that this is a lake. Looking at the beach and the waves, your senses are sometimes fooled and I am sure I can smell the sea.
I remember learning about the Great Lakes at school but I never thought it could be as beautiful as this.

After the zoo we went to Apple Holler.
We pass this place on our way to Chicago/ airport etc but had never been in.
It started as a fruit farm but now boasts a "country restaurant" with "old fashioned country food" too.
It was pants.
The food was way overpriced. They got my order wrong and then when they put it right it wasn't very nice anyway.
So, I had an ice cream.
They also have a children's play area, corn maze (I got lost in that pretty quick), petting zoo (buy food to feed our goats for us), hay rides, pony rides ...blah blah blah.
What they don't tell you in all their advertising, is that you have to pay extra for each of these things and it soon mounts up.
The best part was the goat bridge which joined two goat enclosures.
Atop this bridge was a billy goat who got very excited if he saw people down below.
We soon worked out why. There was a pulley contraption with cups on it. You put some of your goat food in a cup and then turned the handle which, very slowly, took the cup up to the bridge and emptied it out for the billy goat to eat.
Oh wow, did he get in a state waiting for the cup to get up to him.
It must have been 'his' bridge because we noticed he didn't allow any of the others up there.
We fed them anyway.
Sunday it was off to the airport. All went well there. We had both had a bit of a 'blub' Saturday night so I think we got it out of our systems.
She went off with the air steward, all smiles. My stomach was in a tight knot all day.
This morning I spoke with Donna and she has arrived safely.
She said the flight was boring. I told her that is what you always want....... a boring flight, perfect.

I should be going over there in 3 weeks, so it won't be long before I see her and the rest of the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home