Monday, September 21, 2015

Staying Home

Lauren having a cuddle with the infamous TommyJones.

We went to Cedarburg on Sunday.
The weather has been glorious, cooler but sunny and dry.  So, we thought we would take Donna and Lauren to see an olde worlde American town.
Well that was the plan.
Then we found out it was Cedarburg's Fall Festival the same weekend.
No worries, that would be even better, pumpkins, Halloween etc....brilliant.
Which it was, mostly.
We hadn't been to a fall festival in Cedarburg for years.  When we went before, it was about a dozen or so stalls set out in the main street and was fab.
We couldn't believe it when we got there this time.  The place was packed with stalls, hundreds of them, and even more packed with people.
We had to pay $5 to park.
So, although it was lovely walking along the main street, looking at lovely (expensive) things to buy, it did mean that you couldn't see any of the houses and the charm of the place.
We made it to the winery, in an old mill, which is alongside a creek and had a look around there too.
This is usually a leisurely outing but this day it was really too crowded to enjoy totally.
We were told that there would be an amusing race on the creek with people using pumpkins as boats.
Apparently, this causes much hilarity, but we knew we would not be able to get near enough to see it. The crowds of people were too great.
Donna would like to go back on a regular weekend so she can see the place properly.  So would I.

Usually, at this time of year, I would have just arrived in England.
Had I been going this year, I probably would have got there yesterday and been totally jet lagged today......and for the next few days.
I didn't go this year because it would be difficult with Donna and Lauren staying here at the moment.
Also, funds determined that it wasn't the best of times either.
It does seem a little odd though.
I shall miss catching up with family and friends.  I shall miss my walks to Asda and my bus rides to Ashford town.
I shall miss my train rides to Folkestone and Canterbury.  It is so easy to get around over there compared to here.
Well, mostly.  Donna used to work nights and be asleep during the day so unless people were prepared to come and see me or pick me up or meet me in town, I wasn't able to see everyone.
Many did though and I am eternally grateful for that.
I met up with Paul and Cathy in Ashford town one day and had such a shock when Bernie just happened to pass by and then joined us for coffee.
It was lovely catching up with him after such a long time.
I shall miss staying with my friend in Hythe and the little jaunts we go on.
I met up with my father in law and his husband in Canterbury one day for lunch last time.  It poured with rain all day but it didn't matter.
It was dry on the train home...:)
Little outings please me so much.  A trip to Dobbies or Bybrook Barn with old colleagues are real favourites of mine.
So, to anyone who might have come to see me or met me somewhere had I been over this year....thank you.
I hope to see you next year.  I rather fancy a trip to Teapot Island.

I won't be able to buy my British Christmas supplies either, well that's pants.

2 Comments:

At September 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Manky Badger said...

You will find Teapot Island a disappointment :o)

 
At September 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Sue Banks said...

Oh that's a shame. What was disappointing ?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home