Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Baking

I have finished the small Christmas cakes........at last.
Philip will be taking them to work tomorrow.
He gives them to his team.
I did it one year and so now it is expected.  I gave them all mini chocolate yule logs one year and they were all disappointed they didn't get a proper fruit cakes.
You can't buy them here.
There is no such thing as a Christmas cake.
I can't even buy the ingredients here.  I have to bring them back with me from my England trip every year.
Marzipan is a biggie.
No marzipan in Milwaukee.  So, I bring that back too.
I had some left over and it was a pity to waste it.
Philip adores marzipan.  It seems to be a bit like the Marmite phenomenon - you either love it or hate it.
I love it too.
Anyway, I did something I used to do with the kids in my classes in England, many moons ago.
I doubt they do such things in Home Economics now.  Well, even when I was there our department was changed to Design and Technology.  This seemed to consist mostly of designing labels for snack bars. The kids would much rather make something they can take home to mum and dad.  Shame really.  They all seemed to enjoy cooking.

I made marzipan fruits.
Philip loves these so it is a special treat.
I had food colouring etc so it was a fun thing to do.

Look who was on the birdie feeder with the sparrow.
It is our friend the Cardinal.  He had his wife with him too.
The seed and nut wreath is no more.
It took the squirrels just a couple of days to demolish the whole thing.
I am sure they are supposed to last a lot longer than that.

I saw the dentist today.
He had another look at my tooth.  He says there is no infection, no nerve and no blooming reason why it should keep hurting.
He thinks it is something to do with the gumline.  He said he thinks it is inflammation.
I did ask if it meant I would have to have my gums out ........he had a little chuckle at that.
Anyway, I am now on a six day course of steroids.  Hopefully, they will help.
I have to go back anyway on January 2nd for the root canal to be finished.
If it still hurts then he has all sorts of tortuous treatment lined up for me..........sigh.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home