Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Where's Alan?

No the Chipmunk isn't called Alan.
I spotted him yesterday filling his cheeks with the corn I put out.
I thought they had all gone to bed for the winter but I think they are doing some last minute shopping.
The squirrels and birds have been infrequent visitors to the bird feeder since I have been back.
Philip said he hadn't seem many while I was gone either.
The mystery was solved a couple of days ago when I found squirrel fur scattered all around the bird feeder.
Lots of it.
A red tailed hawk must have been lurking about for a couple of weeks.
He thinks our bird feeder is some sort of buffet table laid out just for him.
"Hmmm....what will it be today,  doves, finches, chipmunk........oh I know...I fancy squirrel."
Poor little squirrel, I am so glad I didn't see it happen.
Now, a couple of days have gone past and the hawk will be looking elsewhere, the visitors are all back at the feeder.
I hope that hawk stays elsewhere for a long time too.

I called this "Where's Alan?" because Alan phoned last night.  We hadn't heard from him in quite a while so had lots to catch up on.
Bubba also needed his 'zoomie juice' so Philip put Alan on speaker phone so we could chat and see to Bubba at the same time.
The strangest thing happened.
Looby Loo, our very shy, former feral cat heard Alan's voice and was fascinated.
She always amazes us how she remembers him from year to year and doesn't hide away from him.
I tried to get some photos but this was the best I could manage.

She kept staring at the phone, at the sound of Alan's voice and then started gently tapping it.
She must be wondering where he is.

Anyway, he seems fine and has booked his flights for Alanmas.
For a while there it looked like Alanmas was going to be much shorter this time as the hotel is staying open all year instead of closing for about 8 weeks.
He has managed to get enough time off to warrant a visit and will be with us about 5 weeks.
We will have his shovel ready and waiting for him.

We are off to Las Vegas on Thursday morning......very early.
We should be back late on Monday, so I doubt I will update this blog until after then.
"This time next week Rodney, we will be millionaires."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home