Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Washed Out

Well after weeks of glorious sunshine and mild temperatures.......we came to Halloween.
We got up Saturday morning to pouring rain and high winds.
It did not stop all day and all night.
I felt so sorry for the kids.   We had a few brave souls who showed up looking wet and bedraggled, but nowhere near the numbers we usually get.
Their lovely costumes were covered by thick winter coats.
We had spent around $15 on a huge bag of sweets.  We still have most of them but I am sure Philip and Lauren will have a good go at tidying them away.
Lauren still went out with her friends in the evening but she wasn't out late.  Donna met up with her friends in the bar for a karaoke night, which she loves.
Sunday........ The weather had returned to absolutely lovely.
The sun shone, the wind had dropped and it was rather warm.
We had just that one pants day and it had to be Halloween.
But then Donna was really, really poorly.
She came down with a bug that knocked the stuffing out of her.  She was ill all day and all night.
Monday morning she was unable to go to college, the first time she had missed a class.
Fortunately, it was the first one of the new term and they were just going over what was going to be involved this time.
If they miss any time they have to make it up.
She was able to go this morning, Tuesday, but I bet she will be exhausted when she gets home.

I shall have to start Christmas shopping in earnest soon.
I have been buying bits and pieces throughout the year but nothing major.
I have missed my England trip.  I usually stock up on lots of Christmas goodies that we can't get here.
Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco.....they will all have their Christmas specials now.  We don't get that over here.
There are no 'special Christmas foods'....like mince pies, cakes, puddings, sweets and biscuits.
There is no Christmas aisle in the supermarkets.
There are plenty of Thanksgiving things.....well mostly pumpkin pies, sweet potatoes and turkey, but although Christmas gifts are popping up in the stores, Christmas food is non existent.
We do have a good shop called World Market, which generally carries some British stuff, but it is limited and very expensive.
We had a look in there a week or so ago.  They had some of their stuff out......well I hope it was only some as there wasn't much.
We bought a tin of Quality Street for $20.
I am not making a Christmas fruitcake this year.  Mostly because it is hard to find the right ingredients, but also because Donna and Lauren don't eat it anyway.
If I can find one in World Market ....I might buy that.  They did have Christmas puds but they were way too  much, and again, only Philip eats it.
I will make mince pies, if I can't buy some.
Oh I love England at Christmas.

Lastly.  I do love sitting at my kitchen window and watching the wildlife.
Lately the crows have been driving our cats crazy.   I like crows.  They are such clever birds and always look like they are up to no good.

Took this photo the other day of a few of them at the bird feeder.
I know a group is called a 'Murder of Crows'.
That seems a bit harsh to me.
I think our lot are more of a 'Disorderly Conduct of Crows'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home