Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Where have all the flowers gone?

Well I just went out to water the flowers in the flower carpet thingy.
Or should I say that I went out to water the flower carpet thingy as there is no sign of any poxy flowers yet.
Not even a teeny shoot.
Nothing.
I haven't seen any stray hippopotamusssessss around either, so I can't blame them.
I hope this thing isn't a con.
It says I have to water it twice a day...........which I have done.
It says it suppresses weeds and retains water.................NOT.
I found a lovely bunch of mushrooms growing up from the middle of it this morning.
It also dries out in no time.
Perhaps I should have just eaten the mushrooms although they would probably have turned out to be toadstools.
I wonder why they are called toadstools?
I have never seen a toad sitting on one.
Do they have little bars which they can't reach to drink their beer without a toadstool?
Maybe the gnomes have pinched them all so they can fish in ponds.

Enough of this highbrow stuff.

I think we have finished painting Lauren's bedroom.
I say think because every time I think it is finished another glaring fault burrows it's way into my eyes.
The walls in this room have lots of ins and outs.
Instead of doing both long walls pale pink and both end walls deeper pink we decided to do all the inny outy bits facing one way pale pink and all the inny outy bits facing the other way deeper pink.
With me so far?
This sounds easy.........t'isn't.
We (I ) had to tape all the edges of the walls for one colour, then when that dried I had to tape all the edges of the painted wall before doing the next colour.
Still with me?
Good.
This would give a clean edge. I am a bit of a perfectionist where this type of thing is concerned (Philip has been known to call me Adrian Monk from the TV series .....it is very good if you have not seen it give it a try).
Anyway, I knew I could not live with a wobbly edge (ooo errrr Matron).
We did all the painting, let it dry and then yesterday I took the tape off.
Horror of horrors.........the tape is pants and has not stuck completely, allowing dribbles of one colour to encroach on the other colour.
Sigh.
So, this morning I have been up there with a tiny art brush and have gone along each edge, floor to ceiling with it, tidying up wobbly bits.
Of course at the same time I kept finding little places that the roller hasn't quite covered so I have been over all those with a brush too.
I reached the point, as I do with artwork, where I had to force myself to walk away.
Enough is enough....it is done.
I know I shall never be entirely happy with it but I think it is as good as it is going to get and I have to get over it.
At least now we know what we will be dealing with when we decorate our bedroom. ...and there are not so many inny outy bits.

Always gets complicated.

1 Comments:

At June 3, 2009 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Manky Badger said...

I've had that problem with masking tape (doing oil painting but the principle's the same).
Somewhere in the world there is tape that does what it's supposed to, but I've never found it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home